William Clarkson Ltd.
Holy Trinity Church, Formby
Built in 1896, Holy Trinity Church in Formby underwent a £600,000 major refurbishment headed by main contractors, William Clarkson Ltd. The works included a new mezzanine floor, new toilet facilities and a new, more accessible, relocated entrance as well as interior refurbishments. Work was focused on rebuilding and repairing the historical building to create a more accessible place of worship for all of its congregation. Extensive efforts were made to conserve the buildings features and produce an outstanding entrance system which transformed the 120 year old building into a modern place of worship whilst maintaining the buildings character and charm.
ADC replaced the old timber arch entrance doors with a new, modern, durable aluminium arch window. When installing arched windows into historic buildings such as Holy Trinity Church, complications can arise in creating a ‘true’ arch. To combat this and create a perfect installation, the ADC team took several sets of extensive measurements to get the arch’s dimensions exactly right and create the project the customer expected.
A new modern entrance way was created to provide easy access for all, transforming the church into a space open to all the community. It was important that the refurbished entrance way met the needs of all members of the church whilst creating a modern striking image. Internally new aluminium doors were installed to open up the church and create a large space which will allow more groups and residents to use the church for different purposes.
The most important requirement throughout the refurbishment was to create a church that is a more accessible building for all of Formby’s community.